California minimum wage update
- Effective January 1, 2021, the state minimum wage for employers with 25 employees or less is $13.00 per hour; for employers with 26 employees or more it is $14.00 per hour.
- Employers are not permitted to take a tip credit in order to meet an employee’s minimum wage rate.
- Categories of employees exempt from the state minimum wage requirement include:
- Outside salespersons;
- Employees who are the parent, spouse or child of the employer; and
- Apprentices regularly indentured under the State Division of Apprenticeship standards.
- For more information, please visit the California Department of Industrial Relations website.