Arkansas minimum wage update
- Effective January 1, 2021, the state minimum wage is $11.00 per hour; the minimum base wage for tipped employees is $2.63 per hour.
- The state minimum wage requirements are applicable to all employers with four (4) or more employees.
- Any deficit between the state minimum wage and the tipped employee’s base wage plus tips must be made up by the employer.
- Permissible deductions which have the effect of reducing the employee’s minimum wage per hour include the following so long as such deductions are made in accordance with Arkansas minimum wage laws:
- Court ordered deductions;
- Wage assignments to a third party; or
- Deductions for board, lodging, apparel, or other items and services.
- For more information, please visit the Arkansas Department of Labor and Licensing website.
By Megan Butz
General Counsel, HR Compliance, Checkwriters
Megan joined Checkwriters in 2020 and is responsible for reviewing, revising, and implementing internal policies of the company, advising on human resource, employment, and labor matters, and monitoring and publishing state and federal legal updates to the Checkwriters News and Compliance Center for distribution to thousands of clients around the country. Before joining Checkwriters, Megan served as a judicial law clerk for the justices of the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court performing legal research and writing, followed by private practice in Cape Cod.